Fr. Anthony Kadookunnel SJ, fondly known as Fr. K C, was born on 8th September 1928, at Erumely, Kanjirappaly Diocese, Kerala, to Mr. Chandy Cherian and Ms. Aliamma. He was fifth among the seven siblings.
He joined the Society of Jesus in 1952 in Ranchi Province, and was ordained priest in 1962. He was a missionary and worked in five provinces: Ranchi (Muri, Doranda, Bimarla, Jamdera, Soso), Calcutta (Dhyana Ashram), Hazaribagh (St. Xavier’s, as Builder), Madhya Pradesh (Jhingo and Baikunthpur, CG) and Jamshedpur (Jesu Bhavan, Mango, Parsudih, DNS Digwadih, Chandankiyari; TRTC Guira, Loyola School, Chaira, Guidera Jesuit Residence, XLRI) in various capacities. He was one of the founding fathers of the Agriculture Training Center (ATC), Namkum, Ranchi. He was a nature-friendly man – growing trees and plants wherever he worked.
He loved to beautify the campuses with all kinds of trees.
He developed a taste for herbal medicines and used them as means of evangelization. He cured many sick which modern medicines declared impossible, with simple herbal medicine and electric-magnetic massage. He had a God-given gift of divining water and helped hundreds of people with safe drinking water. He was a kind and compassionate person and always available for the missions. He was very pastoral and a good shepherd of the people. He took great pride in his priestly vocation and demonstrated it by wearing the cassock for liturgical celebrations. Until the end, he never compromised in reciting the prayers of the Church. He was sought after by priests and religious for confessions and advice. Nothing stopped him from making himself available for the spiritual ministry till the end of his life.
Gyan P. Kujur, SJ