Fr Chettiyathara John M., popularly known as Fr C.M. John or Johnny was born on 29 December, 1952 at Vazhoor, Kottayam, Kerala. He entered the Society of Jesus on 09 July 1978 at Jisu Jaher, Dudhani, Dumka and took his first vows on 31 October 1980. After completing his ecclesiastical studies in Pune he was ordained a priest on 07 April 1987 at St Paul’s Cathedral in Dudhani, Dumka, by Bishop Stephen Tiru of Dumka.
He pronounced his final vows on 14 April 1996 at Jisu Jaher, Dumka. Fr C.M. John has served the Province in various capacities, such as Hostel prefect at St Ignatius Sahibganj, Assistant Province Treasurer, Province Treasurer and in-charge of financial administration of communities and apostolates, minister and administrator in different communities, Superior, member of the Finance Commission, and for the last several years as the Province Development Director and Province Construction in-charge. Two of his notable works are: one, along with Fr M.J. Peter he built up the Alternative Health Care centre at Kalidanga and served the institution and the people as Administrator for eleven years. Two, he was involved in the construction work in the Province over twenty years.
Fr C.M. John loved the Society and was committed to the religious life. He was a man for others, ever ready to help others in need. He was a friendly and humorous person and people liked his company. He was a hardworking Jesuit. Despite his poor health he would constantly move from place to place to look after the construction work with great commitment and to meet the Jesuit companions.
We thank the Almighty God for Fr. Johnny’s life and service all these years and to the Church and the Society and we pray that Fr. Johnny enjoys everlasting life in heaven.